Showers / Hygiene Options for Dry Camper Vans
- Anytime Fitness - my favorite for showers / clean-up. They give you or sometimes make you pay for an electronic key. All are always open. For the first 30 days, you can only use the gym you signed up with. Some Anytime Fitness centers only have one Men's and one Women's bathroom. Avoid those because you can piss off someone if you take time for a shower. Only frequent facilities that have at least one unisex backup bathroom. Some (about 7%) have no shower. AFs are independently owned, therefore you will be monitored far more heavily than other gyms. Many owners get very upset if you take a shower without working out first. Most have a lot of rules posted to include inside the bathroom. AF can be very difficult to cancel. Many clubs have warning signs that threaten to cancel your membership for violating their policies (they can make up anything they like); if they cancel you, you may be obligated to a $50 cancellation fee, collection fees, etc. AFs often have obnoxious members who make loud noises and drops weights when working out.
- Planet Fitness - Only $10 per month basic, $20 per month "Black Card" (hydro massage, massage chair and red light therapy access). About half are open 24/7. Communal shower and sink. You will be given a small check-in card that fits on your key-chain. About 33% are always open and 66% limited hours. Judgement free environment that discourages loud noises.
- 24 Hour Fitness allows you to sign in with your fingerprint and phone number. Compared to Anytime, 24 Hour is more crowded, far less private (bathroom / shower) but has more features (some have basketball courts, swimming pools, saunas, etc.). Generally popular on the West coast range.
- YMCAs offer discounts to those in a hardship (scholarship). Ask for "AWAY" program admission for other location use. You have to fill out a waiver form for every new gym you visit as a guest. YMCA culture is of old men and kids, not much in between!
- Community centers are low cost plus recreation facility use
- Truck Stops usually charge around $8 for every shower.
- Wear shower shoes and rinse them after use. Never lay anything of yours on any wet surface as that likely is highly rich in bacteria. By doing that and being very careful what you touch and wash hands frequently, it's possible to come in dirty and leave clean. Bring extra underwear and towel in case you drop any on the nasty floor.
- Use their disinfectant wipes on sink handle, seat, shower handle, door handle, etc. (grab before entering bathroom).
- Use baby wipes liberally to clean yourself when a shower is not available.
- Ask for a veteran discount everywhere you go if you are one.