Solar Panel Power for Camper Vans / RVs
- There is no practical way for solar to power an air conditioner, heater or microwave (in an RV) yet.
- Flexible panels are less efficient and more expensive.
- Install air conditioner and roof vent before solar panels; fit panels around the a/c and vent.
- See the power webpage for info on necessary auxiliary batteries, etc.
- Panels have to be mounted about two inches from any surface to prevent overheating (use metal brackets).
- When fastening the metal brackets to the roof, insert a foam rubber layer or butyl tape for weatherproofing.
- Install "vinyl wall base" (from Lowes) in front of front solar panel for fuel savings and wind noise reduction. Screw down into sheet metal, but apply silicone between the base and vehicle as well as over each screw. No glue or tape is going to last very long there.